Irritable bowel syndrome in adults (QS114)
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic, relapsing and often life-long disorder. It is characterised by abdominal pain or discomfort, which may be relieved by defaecation or accompanied by a change in bowel habit. Symptoms may include constipation or diarrhoea or both, and abdominal distension usually referred to as bloating.
This NICE quality standard covers the diagnosis and management of irritable bowel syndrome.
This NICE quality standard is expected to contribute to improvements in the following outcomes:
- Undiagnosed irritable bowel syndrome in adults
- Quality of life for adults with irritable bowel syndrome
- Satisfaction with care received for irritable bowel syndrome
- Unnecessary hospital attendances for symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Inappropriate investigations