Vitamin D: increasing supplement use in at-risk groups (PH56)
This NICE public health guideline was updated in May 2017 which has replaced the previous guideline. PH56 covers the “use of Vitamin D supplements and aims to prevent vitamin D deficiency among at-risk groups”.
When the SACN vitamin D and health report 2016 (http://ow.ly/c03x30e4LZK) was published NICE had to update the introduction, recommendations 1 and 6, the context section and the glossary. Also, the at-risk age ranges were amended as well as updating the reference nutrient intake details.
This NICE guideline makes six recommendations on how to:
- Increase access to vitamin D supplements
- Increase local availability of vitamin D supplements for at-risk groups.
- Ensure health professionals recommend vitamin D supplements.
- Raise awareness of the importance of vitamin D supplements among the local population.
- Ensure a consistent multiagency approach.
- Monitor and evaluate the provision and uptake of vitamin D supplements.
For more information please visit: www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph56