Coexisting severe mental illness and substance misuse (NG58)
This guidance (NG58) aims to improve services for people with severe mental illness and substance misuse and includes their wider health and social care needs by providing a range of coordinated services.
It makes recommendations on:
- First contact with services
- Referral to secondary care mental health services
- The care plan: a multi-agency approach to address physical health, social care, housing and other support needs
- Partnership working between specialist services, health, social care and other support services and commissioners
- Improving service delivery
- Maintaining contact between services and the people with coexisting severe mental illness and substance misuse who use them
For instance, it is recommended that discharge planning from hospitals should include planning for potential relapses so that the patient knows who to contact to provide the right ongoing support.